Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Chasing After DNA Leads Benjamin Roberts Parents

I have been putting a lot of time in researching my and my uncles DNA matches through Ancestry. com, Gedmatch and FamilytreeDNA. I have been trying to figure out who is Benjamin Roberts 1775-1871 parents. It has been a major brickwall for a very long time. I have been following another's research that was done back in the late 1930s. Everywhere I seem to try to find any records or get close there always seems to be wall, like the court house burned down with the records. Even there was some confusion on where he was born at. Was it is in West Virginia or Maryland ( Tombstone states WV and census states Maryland.)

I decided to try DNA with this brickwall. I had many DNA matches to go by. When I used the search in Ancestry.com. I had many pages to go through. I many hits for Virginia, CT, PA, NC, KY, Maryland, Mass. etc. I started with VA since there was more DNA matches. I built the tree with the hits and I just couldn't see anything that could lead me to Benjamin parents. I even sent out messages to the matches to see if they have matches with a couple confirmed relatives that are descendants of Benjamin. Nada. I did the same for PA, CT and nothing. I decided to take another look at the Maryland ones. The first time there wasn't much there and it didn't lead to anything. This time I saw a new hit and I went with it. It lead me to a group Roberts on the Eastern side of Maryland, Kent, Cecil and Queen Annes. The other surnames of the group is Scott and Raven, Ricketts. I have DNA matches with these family groups and is connected to the Roberts.I have been working hard in putting these family groups up in my tree with the DNA connections. I am feeling very confidant in this. you cant go too wrong with DNA.

I am still not able to figure who is Benjamin mother is and not a 100% sure if Benjamin Robert born in 1750 is his father. His father was Benjamin Roberts born in 1731 and had sons name, Hugh, Benjamin, Conor/ Conrod, John 1748-1823. All boys where names in Benjamin Roberts 1731 will except for John. ( this is the one that lead me on the DNA chase to this family line) I don't know why John wasn't on the will. Apparently John traveled to Frederick Co. Maryland and his family moved on to Illinois, there was a daughter name Alice that was born in Frederick Co. Maryland and moved to Coshoston Ohio which is a couple counties over from Jefferson Co Ohio where my Benjamin Roberts moved to in abt 1800. The test states that Alice is a cousin.

As time permits I will be adding the whole tree on here including the Scott, Ricketts and Raven's including all the sources that I was able to find. 

No comments:

Post a Comment